Alege has a background in Community Health and Development, through a Commonwealth Scholarship he studied MSc. in International Development Planning with a bias in Urban Health, majoring in Water Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH), with over 7 years in health programme management. He then undertook another postgraduate study in MSc. Public Health. Alege joined the Institute of Public Health and Management (IPHM) of International Health Sciences University in 2013 as a lecturer and was appointed Acting Dean of the Institute in 2015. His areas of expertise include; Primary Health Care, Adolescent Health, Health Policy & Planning, Health in Conflict & Complex Emergencies and Monitoring & Evaluation of Healthcare Services.
His long-term career goal is to improve population health through improving and strengthening health systems. His fields of interest therefore include: Health Systems Strengthening; Primary Health Care, Adolescent Health, Health in Conflict and Complex Emergencies; Social and Structural Determinants of Health and health information systems. He is part of a team that recently (2015) won a consultancy on “Development and Dissemination of Professional Fee Guidelines for Healthcare Professionals in Uganda” funded by Cardno/USAID Uganda.
Alege coordinates teaching, learning and research for all programmes in the Institute of Public Health and Management, which run every academic year. He is the convener of the Primary Health Care, Community Health and Health Promotion Course Units. Other courses taught include; Health Policy & Planning, Health in Conflict & Complex Emergencies, Ethics in Healthcare and Monitoring & Evaluation of Healthcare Services.
- Alege, J.B., 2014, Demystifying African Ethics: Reflections on Theory and Practice in Health Care: In Wooding, N., Nagaddya, T., and Nakaggwa, F,. (2014). Healthcare Ethics: A Developing Countries’ Context (In-Press)
- Suji O., Kitungulu B., Ayat., J and Alege J.B., 2008, Behavioral Monitoring Surveys for HIV/STI/TB/RH/FP/Malaria in Kaya, Rumbek, and Juba, Southern Sudan: Ministry of Health, South Sudan and Family Health International.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Oral presentation: Robert Basaza1, 2, Boniface Mutatina2, Robert Afayo1, John Alege1, and Charles Olaro3 Development and Dissemination of Professional Fee Guidelines for Healthcare Professionals in Uganda, Mbale Uganda, 2015.
- Oral Presentation: Programme Best Practice; Tracy Kobukindo & John B. Alege., Gender and Adolescent Health Youth Oriented Services Delivery Models & Innovations. National Conference on Adolescent Health, 29-30 July 2015, Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala, Uganda.
- Poster Presentation: John Alege1, Margaret Mugisha1, Christine Atuhairwe1, Titus Ochieng1, Dinah Amongin1,2, The role of disclosure in Enhancing Behavioural Change among young people living positively with HIV and AIDS: A case study of Nsambya Home Care, Kampala. National Conference on Adolescent Health, 29-30 July 2015, Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala, Uganda.
- Oral Prsentation: Bridget Atuhaire1, Dinah Amongin1,2, Christine Atuhairwe1, John Alege1 , Titus Ochieng1 The role of access to sexuality information on reproductive health choices among adolescents in Secondary Schools: A case study of Wakiso District. National Conference on Adolescent Health, 29-30 July 2015, Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala, Uganda.